Thursday, December 20, 2012

Calla Lilies and Peonies



Starting with a line drawing, I masked out the areas that were to remain light or white.  I also use the mask to act like a dam between colors like the lavender mountains and the white calla lilies.

The first washes are light; I think of them as place holders and use this first layer to tie things together.


Secondary washes begin to add the mid value shapes.


I have underpainted the pink peonies with a warm orange to make them warmer and more
harmonious with the predominant yellows and greens in the piece.

Finally the darkest darks and the details.  Sorry that the sidelight I used from the window for this last photograph shows the undulations of the paper....I did stretch it, but some of the staples hold more firmly than others so I get a little pucker action which I will iron out later.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment